Thursday 8 January 2009

The big C.

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit.

This poem was on the wall of the local cancer help centre and it is so true.

Cancer features heavily in many people's lives, statistics claim that 1 in 3 people will be affected by the disease.

In my life I have lost 3 important people to the disease, my Grandad, my Aunt/Godmother and my husband. I have watched as cancer has reduced the people I love to shells of themselves. However, these shells are their physical shells only. All 3 of these people retained their dignity and showed remarkable courage.

Matthew never gave up hope, during his illness he became closer to God and inspired others with his witness, his dignity and his strength. He refused to be known as a cancer victim and refused to talk about his *battle*, as he said how can you *battle* a disease. His bloody minded stubborness helped him to outlive expectations and to meet Anya. His kindness and love for me meant that I was able to love again.

Cancer is an evil disease, it can rob you of those you love, but it cannot rob you of your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment