Thursday 25 March 2010

Pondering the human need for stuff

'Mummy what will happen to Daddy-In-Heaven's precious things when I die?' A question from my 9 year old last night. He is talking about his memory box filled with special things from Matthew, his watches, cards he wrote to Ross, his teddy bear. I assured him that he could pass them down to his children with the stories that go with them. 'But there will come a time when no-one will be interested in that stuff, won't there?' He said and I had to agree that 1 day that will happen, but it won't matter because we'll be in Heaven. 'Can I take the stuff to Heaven then?' and so I explained that in Heaven we won't need stuff, all we need will be there for us in the form of God and those who are waiting for us.

So why do we need so much stuff whilst we are here on earth? I have a box of letters/cards from Matthew and a couple of things that I cannot bear to let go of. I also have a similar box of cards and letters from Alan and a box of cards and pictures from the children. These boxes are so precious to me, but one day will mean nothing and will be put into the recycling bin without a second thought.

My memories are in my head and yet I still keep my memory joggers. Strange things us humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment